Hotel Indigo Asheville
West End Bakery Asheville

UPDATED: Ashvegas Political Hit List Extra: Moffitt asked Turner to withdraw from N.C. House race

| March 10, 2014 | Comments (111)

Ashvegas: The City You Love. The News You Want.UPDATE MARCH 13: Other media outlets are following up on the story of last month’s meeting between state Rep. Tim Moffitt and challenger Brian Turner, a story first reported here on March 10.

-NC Insider has a report on the Moffitt/Turner conversation. You have to be a subscriber to read.

-Local radio talk show host Pete Kaliner had Turner on his WWNC AM 570 show on Wednesday, March 12, for an interview. Under the headline “Opponent Accuses Rep. Moffitt of Offering Bribe,” Kaliner has Turner go through the meeting in detail. Turner explains that Moffitt said he planned to run for speaker of the N.C. House and that he didn’t need any distractions at home, then asked Turner to withdraw from the race.

Turner tells Kaliner that Moffitt then suggested that Turner “do something productive like run UNC TV,” Turner said. Moffitt “then went on to say, ‘I think we could get that moved to Asheville,’” though he added that a decision like that would require a decision by the state Board of Governors, Turner tells Kaliner.

“At that pointIi kind of sat there a little dumbstruck. You go through it, you replay it in your head and you say, did that just happen?” Turner tells Kaliner.

Turner goes on to tell Kaliner that he met with state Board of Elections officials and consulted with his campaign staff and outside counsel before deciding not to file an official complaint. Turner says he doesn’t want the campaign to get bogged down in a back-and-forth over the issue.

Listen to Kaliner’s interview with Turner here. King was scheduled to appear on the Kaliner show Thursday afternoon, March 13.

-In a story posted to the Asheville Citizen-Times on Thursday, March 13, reporter Jon Ostendorff reports that Moffitt and King dispute Turner’s version of events. In response to a question regarding whether Moffitt offered Turner a job in return for Turner stepping down, Ostendorff reports:

Moffitt said the statement was not a bribe.

“I’m effective and I get things done, but I am not that good,” he said. “I could probably make him queen of Spain before I could make him president of UNC-TV.”

Click over to the Asheville Citizen-Times to read the full story. The newspaper has a pay wall up, fyi.

ORIGINAL POST on March 10: Republican N.C. Rep. Tim Moffitt asked his Democratic challenger Brian Turner to withdraw from the race last month, an unusual request from one candidate to another.

Turner confirmed the meeting, and the fact that Moffitt asked him to step aside, though Turner declined to talk about other specifics of the conversation. Moffitt and a third person present at the meeting, Republican Buncombe County Commissioner David King, have not returned messages seeking comment.

But Turner has talked about the sit-down in Democratic precinct meetings, and people familiar with the Turner-Moffitt meet-up have offered other details. Moffitt went so far as to warn Turner that third-party groups outside the Republican’s control would “nuke” Turner, those sources said.

Moffitt and Turner met at Travinia restaurant in Biltmore Park about 3 p.m. on Feb. 24. King, who has touted the fact that he has friends on both sides of the political aisle, acted as a go-between and was also at the table. The meeting was ostensibly a pre-campaign get-together for the two candidates to say hello.

But over an appetizer and iced tea – sweet for Turner, unsweetened for Moffitt – Moffitt asked Turner to withdraw from the race. Turner declined. The conversation continued, with Moffitt suggesting that Turner might fulfill a desire to serve the state through some other state job, according to sources familiar with the meeting. (Turner resigned his job as a vice chancellor at UNC Asheville to challenge against Moffitt, his first run for political office.)

Moffitt went on to say that third-party groups he couldn’t control would “nuke” Turner and his family, according to the sources. Turner is married and has a daughter.

The Moffitt-Turner race is shaping up as a high-profile contest in Western North Carolina. Moffitt has been a lightning rod for controversy in recent years for his support of a variety of legislation, including moves to remove control of Asheville’s water system assets from Asheville City Council and his support of a bill to outlaw female toplessness.

Turner’s challenge of Moffitt could also distract the two-term state House member from bigger political aspirations. Moffitt is widely seen as interested in running for speaker of the N.C. House in coming years. Turner and Moffitt are vying for Buncombe County’s House District 116 seat.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Asheville News, Asheville politics

About Jason Sandford: Jason Sandford is a reporter, writer, blogger and photographer interested in all things Asheville. View author profile.

Comments (111)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Big Al says:

    100+ snarky comments over a bitch session between two politicians who would not piss on any of you if you were on fire after election day.

    Talk about water boys. GOPeabrains and Democommies alike.

    • But if true, the offer of a high-paying taxpayer-funded job by an incumbent to his challenger in an upcoming election? That’s not worthy of our attention? I suspect your disdain for talking about it traces more to the person involved. Now if it was a local Democrat…

      • Big Al says:

        I pride myself on being an equal opportunity offender.

        Clowns to the Left of me, Jokers to the Right…a pox on both of your houses.

  2. What I took from listening to Commissioner David King (other than the fact that he sounded like a man with a gun to his head):

    He confirmed that all the things Brian Turner said did in fact happen, he just thinks Brian misinterpreted some of them.

    Rep. Moffitt did in fact ask him to drop out of the race.

    After Brian declined to drop out, Rep. Moffitt did in fact suggest that, given his experience and skillset, Brian might do better by running UNC-TV.

    It wasn’t clear if Rep. Moffitt or Commissioner King suggested this, but the notion of UNC-TV headquarters moving to Asheville was mentioned.

    Lastly, the topic of unpleasant things happening to Brian and his family was discussed. Commissioner King described it as a friendly warning from someone (Moffitt) who had these things happen to him and his family, so ‘know what you’re getting into’ sort of thing.

    There was more, but it was all in a ‘Brian Turner may have taken that the wrong way’, sort of vibe.

    But the part that got my attention was this: Commissioner King said that Rep. Moffitt said these things sort of in order: He doesn’t want the campaign to turn negative; he won’t be the first one to go negative; if it goes negative, he’ll have no choice but to respond; he thinks that in order to unseat an incumbent, Turner will have no choice but to go negative. And at the end, King said sort of sadly, ‘it looks like that’s already happened.’

    • luther blissett says:

      We also have it confirmed that Rep. Moffitt’s preferred electoral base for 2014 is 70-odd people, none of whom live in his district. He considers his constituents merely the means to his manifest destiny.

  3. News Flash! GOP Commissioner who owes his seat to Rep. Moffitt does the bare minimum to keep him out of jail!!

    But seriously, just like Rep. Moffitt has a documented track record of bullying, David King has a documented track record of covering for him.

    Remember the “we took that away from you” video, in which Rep. Moffitt confirmed that he & Nathan Ramsey kept Asheville out of the Culture/Recreation Authority, to punish them for filing the lawsuit?

    Before the video came out (confirming earlier email threats from Moffitt), David King claimed that no, it was his idea to exclude Asheville from the CRA.

    https://www.mountainx.com/article/50891/Buncombe-commissioners-split-over-culture-authority-likely-to-delay-budget-vote

    Rep. Moffitt blew that lie wide open when he stated on camera that they had done it explicitly in response to Asheville’s lawsuit on the water.

    David King has no more credibility on this than Rep. Moffitt.

  4. Tim Peck says:

    Are we done now?

    King: Here’s my take on Moffitt-Turner meeting
    Commissioner says Democrat misinterpreted incumbent’s comments
    http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20140313/NEWS01/303130036/King-Here-s-my-take-Moffitt-Turner-meeting

  5. Sean says:

    Listen to Pete Kaliner condemn interrupting people and then hear him do it over, & over, & over. PRICELESS. https://t.co/qnd4BHo59u

  6. roo says:

    After listening to the broadcast, I would say Pete Kaliner is a water-carrier, and is not a credible person.

    • Pete Kaliner says:

      Thanks for listening!

    • Oh, we were listening alright. We heard you once again insist that Rep. Moffitt was just making a little joke the last time he got caught bullying.

      I’m actually surprised to hear you double down on that one, Pete. Nobody in their right minds believed the ‘just a little joke’ excuse when he made it, but here you are on the air insulting anyone who questioned it.

      I don’t care that you don’t respect me, but what really is awful is that you don’t respect the intelligence of anyone in your audience.

      • But all that being said Pete, let me also say that, to some degree I sympathize with the position you’re in. It’s part of your job to do political damage control for Rep. Moffitt. That’s a thankless job, and it’s getting harder all the time, as we can all see.

  7. Atticus Finch says:

    Pete Kalinder wrote: “Offering to land someone a state job in exchange for dropping out of a race would seem to warrant an ethics investigation at the very least – a criminal one, worst.”

    I think Pete might be on to something here.

  8. D or R isn't the Answer ! says:

    All these comments are funny. We have many political amateurs in our community. What party currently holds the governor’s seat? What party currently holds the NC Senate? What party currently holds the NC House? Do you realize how effective the opposite party is getting anything done when the majority party is in office? The democrats along with Turner would be better off saving the war chest when the political climate changes. The majority of America, North Carolinas and people of Buncombe County are fed up with partisan games. No threat. Friendly advice. Within the next ten years, republicans and democrats will have been exposed for the deception and games that no one will want to be on any coat tail associated with the establishment. Saddle up. This isn’t temporary it is only the beginning. How would you rate establishment politician’s job performance? Both parties?

  9. [...] Ashvegas – Moffitt asked Turned to withdraw from N.C. House race [...]

  10. I just want to put my name in here – I’ll promise not to run against Rep. Moffitt in return for the UNC-TV job.

    Will someone get back in touch with me? How does this work?

  11. Pete Kaliner says:

    Brian Turner will be joining me on the show today at 4:30.

    Listen here: http://www.iheart.com/live/1593/?autoplay=true

    • Great. Let’s see if you accuse him of “making up stories” to his face.

      • Pete Kaliner says:

        Brian understood my comments. You did not.
        Yet, you persist in misconstruing my words and meaning.

        So, yes, you have earned the disrespect I show you.

        I give people the benefit of the doubt and do not make them earn my respect.

        But once you lose it, it’s pretty much gone forever. You’re in this place & have been for a while.

        If you describe how you’ve engaged me as “respectful” – we have VERY different ideas of the meaning that word.

        • Brian understood my comments. You did not.

          Just because Brian gave you a pass on it (he’s a bigger man than either of us Pete, and eager to concentrate on running for office), doesn’t mean that we have to.

          You said that since he didn’t confirm the details to be splashed here on Ashvegas, there was “no logical conclusion” other than he had made things up (lied) when he spoke at the precinct meetings. Now that you’ve heard it from him directly, and you see that he had good reason for what he did, are you going to admit you were out of line, as anyone with scruples would?

          Insert Jeopardy theme here…

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            Again, you once again prove you have no idea what you’re talking about.

            Unless, you were on the phone with Mr. Turner and me earlier in the day?

            Oh… you weren’t.

            We’re done now, Barry.

            Take care.

          • Once again, not talking about anything that transpired between you and Brian Turner. I’m talking about here on this blog, and on your show, you wanting people to believe that, based on nothing other than a scant Jason Sanford article, there was “no logical conclusion” other than Brian Turner was lying.

            You trot out the ‘Moffitt was joking’ card when it serves to downplay something that he should be held accountable for, and here again, when he should be called to account for outrageous and perhaps even criminal behavior, you’re spinning a theory that the person accusing him shouldn’t be trusted.

            Good thing you’re not any sort of journalist – you’d have been fired long ago. You’re a propagandist.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            Barry wrote:
            ” … you wanting people to believe that, based on nothing other than a scant Jason Sanford article, there was “no logical conclusion” other than Brian Turner was lying.”

            A perfect example of your inability to get past your own biases. The information in the story left logical gaps that made it look like he was making up stories.

            Why do you think Mr. Turner called me and agreed to be on the show?

            ———————–

            Barry wrote:

            “… when he should be called to account for outrageous and perhaps even criminal behavior, you’re spinning a theory that the person accusing him shouldn’t be trusted.”

            Hahaha! Spinning a theory? Pointing out the logical holes in a story is not spinning a theory. I clearly and repeatedly said I had no idea what was said at the table.

            Furthermore, the allegation is a serious one. Maybe you’re willing to jump onto the accusation and spread it without any confirmation, but I was not.

            ————————-

            Barry wrote:

            “Good thing you’re not any sort of journalist – you’d have been fired long ago. You’re a propagandist.”

            Yes!
            There’s that respect Barry says he has always shown me.
            I still find it funny how you and Sean think it’s some sort of an insult to say I’m not a journalist. I don’t claim to be one.
            You’re not one, either, Barry. Oh! Take that! What an insult!
            I suspect you’re trying to minimize the fact that I WAS an award-winning journalist for about a decade. Either way, I don’t really care.
            Your use of this line of attack is merely a curiosity for me.

        • luther blissett says:

          But once you lose it, it’s pretty much gone forever.

          What happens when you lose something that’s worthless?

          Perhaps we can get a philosopher on the case.

    • Nice, Pete. “Idiots”? Those of us who are disagreeing with/criticizing Pete – he just called us all “idiots” on the air.

      I know, Pete – all you have to say to that is: “Thanks for listening”.

      The worst thing I’ve ever said about Mr. Kaliner is that he is a ‘LINO’ (Libertarian In Name Only). I wouldn’t stoop to publicly calling him an idiot. I can see now that the respect I’ve tried to show him is undeserved.

      Why is that all of Rep. Moffitt’s surrogates are so mean?

      • Jimmy Mule says:

        What do you expect from a professional troll like Pete? Frankly I’m a bit disappointed in Brian Turner for going on his show; it makes him appear legitimate.

      • Pete Kaliner says:

        Wow. I think you may be repressing some memories, Barry.

        Barry, you repeatedly set up false choices that look like this:

        Option A) Barry is right and I should agree.
        Option B) I don’t agree with Barry and am therefore a ___________.

        You’ve used this method repeatedly with me over the past two years in personal e-mails, on the air, and in public internet forums.

        Disagreement with you is never based on a different interpretation of information, a different philosophy, or an alternative perspective.
        No, no. Disagreement with Barry is proof of something Barry sets up as the alternative to his position (when often it actually is not).

        A perfect example is found in another one of your comments here – when you said I must take an action YOU dictate or else I have no scruples.
        So, you courageously avoid uttering the insult (“Pete, you have no scruples”) when, in fact, you are actually saying exactly that.

        I am not sure if you realize this or not, but this is the way you argue, Barry.

        Brian Turner said he perfectly understood my meaning on this forum – that the way the blog post was written and the lack of confirmation makes it appear he was making up stories among friends.

        You appear incapable of grasping this, because I guess it doesn’t fit into your favorite either/or construct.

        Notice I said “appear”? That means – this is the way it looks. I don’t know if you ARE incapable. Maybe you are just unwilling.
        But that’s what it looks like.

  12. Ignoring the Moffittistas and their monkey-dust for a moment, back to the main issue – clearly this shows that Rep. Moffitt is:

    A) worried, even desperate that he might lose to Mr. Turner,
    B) willing to use backroom, un-democratic, strongarm tactics to deny the voters in his district a choice, and
    C) slightly out of touch with reality.

    • Sean says:

      Yep. Just the fact alone that he met with Turner & asked him to drop out of the race shows how worried he is. Everything else, if & when confirmed, is just icing at this point.

    • TheGreatGatsby says:

      TheOtherBarry. A living breathing example of how the education system has failed us.

      Causality is hard to determine for some people, and as a result people jump to conclusions out of expediency. This is clearly a case of that.

      1) I guess it’s impossible for two people to meet out of respect for another and possibly to prevent things from becoming uncivil during the election? I’d argue that it shows they’re both amicable men.

      2) Ah, this must be from your implied “bribe” that no one is explicitly saying out of fear of being sued for libel or slander. Come on Barry, post on here saying that Brian Turner was offered a bribe for his removal from the race. I dare you. Something tells me that you wont.

      3) I’d argue that both men are in touch with reality. Elections are rough and they can create more enemies than they do friends. Accepting that reality and meeting shows that both parties are more “in touch with reality” than you’re giving them credit for.

      • You open with an insult, Mr. Anonymous. You aren’t related to Tim Peck are you?

        • TheGreatGatsby says:

          Yes, my last name is Gatz… and thanks to the novel I go by Gatsby. It is what it is. If you’re trying to make a literary joke then you’re looking for Gregory Peck. Not Tim Peck.

          • Yes well, we only have your word to go on for that. The fact that you’re anonymous & your style of opening with an insult is too reminiscent of other well known characters, so I know that Pete would support me in saying that we can assume you are not telling the truth.

            And Gregory Peck was an actor, not a literary figure.

            BOOM! I’ve run rings round you logically!

            But again, why are Rep. Moffitt’s surrogates all so mean?

          • TheGreatGatsby says:

            Hahaha, I stand corrected. Harper Lee wrote the novel, Gregory Peck was the Actor.

          • TheGreatGatsby says:

            Personally I see both sides of this. I know of both of them but don’t know them personally. I just am very very cautious before I point a finger at one person or another. Like I said above, I think both are men of character so far. I don’t know of anything to sway my mind one way or the other.

          • Jimmy Mule says:

            Actually F.Scott Fitzgerald wrote the novel. Now what were you saying about a failed education system?

          • TheGreatGatsby says:

            Harper Lee wrote To Kill A Mockingbird, which we were talking about beforehand. F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote that damn book The Great Gatsby.

          • By any chance, at the school you went to as a child, were all the “books” you had made of cardboard & filled with cereal?

  13. Sean says:

    What is being overlooked is one simple fact: Moffitt has not denied any of this. Nor has King.

    Wonder why that is?

    • TheGreatGatsby says:

      What’s being overlooked is the fact that Brian Turner hasn’t admitted any of the claims other than the fact it occurred.

  14. Sean says:

    Tangentially related to this story…

    Moffitt’s long-time employee, Michael Muller, has been outed as the infamous @wncgop.

    http://imgur.com/a/2CVDc

    For background on this, check out the Mountain Xpress article from last summer:

    http://www.mountainx.com/article/51650/State-Republican-party-condemns-rogue-Twitter-account-UPDATED

    So, Muller was in the employee of Moffitt when all this went down. Someone should reach out to Moffitt for a comment.

    • TheGreatGatsby says:

      The boogeyman Michael Muller. He must really get under your skin Sean. So the guy made a twitter account under a Republican moniker and attacked the other side. As if that never happens on the Democratic side? Parody accounts and clever names abound in the universe of Twitter.

      You still have no concrete evidence that he works for Moffitt other than a screenshot taken of a GMail account that has Moffitt2012 and Michael Muller in the same name.

      1) If he made a parody GOP account, why would he not make another GMail one for Moffitt? (Quick, if you hurry you might even get Romney2012 on Gmail)

      2) Seeing as how I just logged in and checked, anyone at anytime can change their name on Google, both in Google + and in GMail. Could have been hacked… Who knows.

      3)We all know what’s possible with Photoshop these days. I’m no expert but even I’ve managed to change names around and print out fliers for fun. Screenshots with blurred out text and a picture of Moffitt from Google really don’t do much in the way of proving a point. Sorry.

      So, it’s pretty clear we’re grasping for straws here. You have some personal vendetta or something against Muller and that’s fine, but it’s getting to be old news.

  15. Mark Cates says:

    I appreciate this news because it highlights an important issue that drags our community down into the mud.

    Rep. Moffitt is correct in warning Mr. Turner that groups will “nuke” him and his familly. Rep. Moffitt also made a similar comment to me, but I doubt Sean and other progressives will view Moffit’s words of caution to me in the same manner as they do his words to Mr. Turner.

    No doubt Asheville progressives will view Rep. Moffitt’s words to me as friendly advice, but then quickly turn around and view his similar comments to Mr. Turner as a “threat”. This has already happened and set Sean crowing like a mad rooster yesterday.

    Our community is riddled with double-standards.

    It’s interesting that David King was at this meeting. Before David was elected, I spoke with him about how he would be “attacked”, but “nuke” appears to be the more accurate term these days. I remember David saying that he didn’t have anything to hide. I warned him (or as Sean and other progressives want to interpret it, I “threatened” my friend) that having nothing to hide was irrelevant. I warned him that facts were irrelevant and there is a core group of people in our community that would make up things just in order to attack him. That they would work to create connections where none really existed. That they would find and do anything if it could be used to paint him in a bad light. The truth about who he was as a person didn’t matter to this group of die-hard Asheville progressives.

    No, I wasn’t threatening David King. I was telling him the truth so that he and his family could be prepared. I would tell Mr. Turner the same thing and it wouldn’t be a threat, just a fact. I suspect that is what Rep. Moffitt was doing, but no doubt some want to interpret his comment in a way that confirms their loathing of Republicans.

    On a positive note, I think the new districting minimized how much David King was attacked. I believe we would see the same thing happen in city elections if we went to districts. I’ve learned people like Councilman Smith believe that politics is about shaping the narrative, not the actual issues and challenges our community faces. I think district elections would work to thwart the actions of people who work so hard to create narratives without regard to the truth or what is best for our community.

    When I ran for a seat on the Asheville City Council, progressives thought it was “funny” when Democratic operative Lindsey Simerly called into a radio show and lied about her identity to me and the public. When Councilman Bothwell used his PARC PAC to attack me dishonestly, that too was no big deal for Asheville progressives. When Council Bothwell blatantly lied about me, well that didn’t matter either because I’m a Republican.

    When Coucilman Pelly tried to dig up dirt on me by going through my ex-wife, progressives thought that was just all part of the game. I was told to put on my “big boy” pants. When my yard was vandalized and my 7 year old was freaked out by it, progressives accused me of lying.

    When WNC for Change invited me to their event, but then wouldn’t allow me to speak as they did the other candidates having me sit in the back of the room only made sense to progressives. Asheville progressives think forcing Republicans to sit in the back of the bus is a good thing.

    When Councilman Smith published his “facts” about me that were mostly wrong, the truth didn’t matter because it “confirmed” what progressives already believed. The truth was irrelevant at that point and that fact that Councilman Smith was deceptive didn’t even register on the progessive radar. Progressives think lying about a person is okay, if that person is someone they disagree with.

    When Councilman Smith’s bloggers go on cursing rants at me, that’s cool too. No progressives look down on Councilman Smith for allowing his group blog to be used in that manner because Republicans “deserve” to be attacked or nuked.

    It’s irrelevant to Asheville progressives that Sean has created multiple anonymous accounts and spewed hatefulness and curse-filled rants at me. As recently as last week Sean told an outright lie about me based on no facts whatsoever. Who cares about facts as long as the falshehoods and ire are directed at Republicans, right?

    Unfortunately, on the Right we do have our equivalents of Sean, Councilman Smith, Councilman Pelly and Councilman Bothwell. I wish we didn’t, but we do. So yes, Mr. Turner is going to be”attacked” or “nuked” or whatever word you want to use. It’s going to happen. I’ll keep my comments about Mr. Turner’s campaign to the facts and the issues that I think are important for our community.

    Right now, I don’t know much about Mr. Turner but I do know irony and hypocrisy when I see it and I think it is important to point it out.

    Watching Asheville progressives racing to support a 1%er is indeed a scene filled with irony and hypocrisy. That’s not really a comment on Mr. Turner, but Asheville progressives. Personally, I don’t have anything against a 1%er running for elected office or living their lives however they see fit.

    It will be interesting to see if the die-hard progressvies have any luck getting yet another false narrative to stick. Given their past record against Rep. Moffitt, I’m doubting it will matter much.

    (Shortly, Sean will be posting about how bitter I am over losing my city council race. He truly believes that I thought the lone Repubilcan in an 80/20 city had a good chance of winning. He would be wrong as usual. I’m just here to point out the behavior of people like Bothwell, Smith and Pelly and the hypocrisy over this fauxrage regarding Moffitt’s comments, because our local media doesn’t do that job.)

    • Seam says:

      Yes, Moffitt was “warning” Turner.

      Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. The self delusion is strong with this one.

    • TheGreatGatsby says:

      Let’s be glad that Ashevegas isn’t a legal blog… because it’s all Circumstantial. Not a single verifiable fact in this piece other than the fact they met? Come on Jason. Seriously. You do good work most of the time but this isn’t even journalism.

    • Jason Bugg says:

      Mark,

      You told David King about that because you were working with him. Remember?

  16. Pete Kaliner says:

    So, Turner is telling this story among Democratic circles, but won’t talk about the specifics of what was said to Ashevegas?

    Doesn’t that seem a little odd to anyone else?

    “Turner confirmed the meeting, and the fact that Moffitt asked him to step aside, though Turner declined to talk about other specifics of the conversation.”

    Why would he NOT go on the record and tell the media about the pressure that was exerted upon him by two sitting elected officials? It seems like it would be pretty damaging. Maybe even some ethics violations or illegal activity.

    But, instead, he refuses to go on the record about the threats – opting to only give details to fellow local Democrats.

    “Turner has talked about the sit-down in Democratic precinct meetings, and people familiar with the Turner-Moffitt meet-up have offered other details.”

    So, the details come to us second-hand from Turner (via people at precinct meetings). But Turner refuses to confirm them for the record. He feels perfectly comfortable talking about the threats at precinct meetings but not to Jason Sandford?

    Sorry, folks, this makes no sense.

    I have no idea what was said and/or threatened. But logic dictates that when the guy who stands to gain the most (Turner) won’t confirm it for media, it looks more like he’s making up stories to his fellow Democrats.

    • And, “Time”! Somebody check the stopwatch – how long did it take Pete Kaliner to call Turner a liar?

      • Pete Kaliner says:

        Sorry I couldn’t comment as quickly as you, Barry.

        I’ll try to keep up with the leftist sycophancy time trials.

        By the way – I didn’t call anyone a liar. That’s your word. You have always heard what you want to hear and read what you want to read.

        I said the story doesn’t make sense as it’s being told.

        There are various reasons why this could be the case. For example, Turner may have promised Moffitt & King to keep the details of the conversation off the record.

        Or some folks might be embellishing Turner’s story. This could be unintentional. Or not.

        I would note — you’ve not offered a single argument in defense of this story, either. You have no idea what was said, either. You’re going by the second-hand (at least) account.

        But I get it – you have an your already-formed opinion of Moffitt and this fits nicely in that box.

        My use of logic and skepticism is not the equivalent of a defense.

        (I’ll check back later to time your response. Don’t post too quickly, now, Barry!)

        • I didn’t call anyone a liar

          Ummm…:

          it looks more like he’s making up stories

          You’re right. That’s not at all like calling him a liar.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            I wrote: “it looks more like he’s making up stories”

            Barry inferred:
            “You’re right. That’s not at all like calling him a liar.”

            It’s actually not calling him a liar, Barry. It’s saying it “LOOKS MORE LIKE” he’s making up stories.
            The distinction is pretty clear. It’s what it LOOKS LIKE.

            Words have meaning, Barry.

            This is why you’re a waste of time to engage. You hear what you want to hear.

          • Got it: “it looks like” he’s lying is not the same as “he is” lying.

            How Clintonian of you, Pete.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            Got it: “it looks like” he’s lying is not the same as “he is” lying.

            How Clintonian of you, Pete.

            The way the story is written and the lack of confirmation and named sources – yes, that’s the what it looks like.

            But, as I clearly stated, I have no idea what was said at that table. So, I don’t know if Turner is lying, if Moffitt made some illegal offer, if Democratic precinct activists are embellishing stories, or what.

            And neither do you.

          • Pete

            Truth is, there’s any number of reasons that Mr. Turner might choose not to get into confirming the more sensational second-hand accounts of this meeting, even if they actually happened. But for some reason, you choose to ignore those possibilities (and Rep. Moffitt’s documented track record of bullying), and instead spin a logical chain that in your words “dictate” that there’s no other conclusion than that Mr. Turner is lying. (Sorry – “making up stories”.)

            In my view this is indefensible, and you owe him an apology.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            Barry wrote:
            “Truth is, there’s any number of reasons that Mr. Turner might choose not to get into confirming the more sensational second-hand accounts of this meeting, even if they actually happened.”

            Such as?

            ————————–

            Barry also wrote:
            “But for some reason, you choose to ignore those possibilities (and Rep. Moffitt’s documented track record of bullying), and instead spin a logical chain that in your words “dictate” that there’s no other conclusion than that Mr. Turner is lying. (Sorry – “making up stories”.)
            In my view this is indefensible, and you owe him an apology.”

            Despite your preconceived notions about what I have and have not thought about – I actually have considered other possibilities.

            For example,
            Maybe Turner promised King & Moffitt this meeting would be “off the record.”
            If so, it seems like he blew this promise by talking about it at Democratic precinct meetings. No?
            (Would that make him a liar?)

            Or maybe there is a criminal and/or ethics probe into the matter and Turner cannot speak about it.
            After all, offering a state job in exchange for dropping out of the race is a serious charge.
            But, again, this doesn’t explain why he gave details to his political allies. If he’s not supposed to talk about it, he shouldn’t talk about it, right?

            But you said there are “any number of reasons” — so, please offer us a few other potential explanations about why Turner refuses to confirm details of the meeting for members of the general public – something he reportedly was willing to do among partisan comrades.

            Because there’s another aspect that you are ignoring: Doesn’t the public have a right to know whether this allegation is true BEFORE they vote? Why would Turner tell people in Democratic precinct meetings – but not tell non-Democrats (whose votes he’ll need to beat Moffitt)? Shouldn’t ALL the residents of the district get to hear the story and the details? Why is it just reserved for Democratic Party activists?

            As to your silly demand for an apology – there won’t be one coming. As I’ve made perfectly clear – the way this story has been reported makes it look like he’s making up stories.

            There are too many logical gaps in the account.

            If you want me to draw a different conclusion, get some folks on the record.

        • luther blissett says:

          you have an your already-formed opinion of Moffitt and this fits nicely in that box.

          We have a long list of “nice city you have, shame if anything were to happen to it, ha ha only joking no but really, we can abolish you” moments on the public record. Funny how such things can shape opinions of a person.

          You’d think, at very least, that Timmy would have learned that his idiosyncratic sense of humor is best kept to private gatherings of the Moffitteers, where nobody else is listening, or on Kaliner’s show, which is much the same.

    • Joshua Martin says:

      That doesn’t seem strange at all to me. What about the fact of what Tim Moffit did there? Let’s focus on the real issue.

      • Pete Kaliner says:

        Nobody aside from the 3 men at the table have any idea what was actually said. And the only one who has given anything approximating an account won’t say anything other than Moffitt asked him not to run.

        There is no first-hand description of how that request was made. Critics will assume it was a threat. Supporters will assume it was a non-threatening joke.

        Again, I have no information on what happened, either. But this account leaves a lot of unanswered questions with poor sourcing. Sorry, if I’m not ready to jump on the bandwagon just yet.

        • Rich Lee says:

          Strange that you suddenly have a problem with repeating thinly-sourced gossip, Pete.

          • Sean says:

            Sick. Burn.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            So, to be clear – everyone rising in full-throated protest against Moffitt on this story ALSO has no problem with thinly-sourced gossip.

            Also, I don’t “have a problem” with the way this story was reported. I’m not sure where you got that from. All I’ve done is note the gaps in the sourcing and how it presents logical inconsistencies in the preferred narrative among Democrats.

            If Turner goes on record and says Moffitt offered some sort of quid pro quo (a state job for dropping out), Moffitt should face ethics and criminal punishment. Because that’s the allegation here.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            ^
            ^
            ^
            ^
            ^

            Hey look!
            Jimmy the Troll is back!

        • Supporters will assume it was a non-threatening joke.

          Seriously, Pete you’re embarrassing yourself. You helped Rep. Moffitt disseminate the whole “I was just joking” story the last time he was caught bullying. Nobody believed it then, and no one believes that now.

          • Sean says:

            Kaliner has no problems embarrassing himself whilst hauling water. Since he’s not a *real* journalist he doesn’t have to worry about professional integrity.

          • Pete Kaliner says:

            Logic shouldn’t be cause for embarrassment, Barry. But maybe that’s why you avoid it so studiously.

            This might be compounded by a severe lack of a sense of humor. A deadly combo.

          • Jimmy Mule says:

            Good lord, is it any wonder why Pete Kaliner whines about how no one in Asheville takes him seriously? What a troll!

      • Heather Rayburn says:

        “The conversation continued, with Moffitt suggesting that Turner might fulfill a desire to serve the state through some other state job, according to sources familiar with the meeting.”

        Was he offering to “find” that job? And is that legal?

        What is Moffitt thinking? What poor judgement he has — on everything.

        • Pete Kaliner says:

          You are exactly right, Heather.

          That is the allegation reportedly told to precinct Democratic activists by Turner – but not confirmed on the record by Turner.

          Offering to land someone a state job in exchange for dropping out of a race would seem to warrant an ethics investigation at the very least – a criminal one, worst.

  17. And unfortunately for Rep. Moffitt, he’s already played his one “I was just joking” card.

    Leaving aside the unsubstantiated parts of the conversation – threats, hints of a bribe in the UNC-TV job, etc. – who in their right mind thinks that an opponent will just drop out of the race (past the deadline for another Dem. to file, no less) just because you ask?

  18. Timothy says:

    He threatened his family with ugly attack ads? What a total scumbag. I’m going to donate to Brian Turner right now.

  19. Janet says:

    If Moffitt wanted to line his pockets he would not leave his business and drive to & from Raleigh each week for $13K paycheck. You Dems. have obviously never known a genuinely honest, nice elected official. Your sarcasm, based on knowing nothing about the conversation except what kind of tea was drunk, gets real boring. Debate the issues or shut up.

    • OK first off, let’s be accurate about what Rep. Moffitt is being paid. The base salary is $13,951, but that doesn’t include the $6700 for expenses. But the real money is in the per diem. You get paid for very day you spend in committee, and then there’s travel money on top of that.

      Rep. Moffitt is proud of the dozen or more committees that he’s on during the interim, at least one or two of them he created out of thin air just for himself. So he’s raking it in compared to other legislators. Taking all that together, a busy man like Rep. Moffitt is likely being paid closer to $50,000 – $60,000.

      Here’s a tally of what legislators in 2009 made, for comparison:

      http://www.carolinatransparency.com/disbursements/

      Please don’t make the man into a charity case just to deflect criticism of his bullying tactics, which were well documented long before this latest episode.

      • luther blissett says:

        And let’s not forget his little side-business in providing other legislators with “informational” media, paid for out of their campaign coffers.

        Dammit, Janet.

    • Heather Rayburn says:

      Moffitt is this you writing in as “Janet”? :P

  20. Yo says:

    Someone’s scared. Go get ‘em Brian!

  21. hauntedheadnc says:

    So, when does this make the paper? Has it been on WLOS yet? I rather hope it has… Or at least that the AC-T will pick it up and run far and run fast with it. Moffitt needs to be politically kneecapped, and the sooner the better.

  22. chris says:

    Cue the mouthpiece in 3…2…1…

  23. Sean says:

    According to my sources, TimMoffitt offered Turner job of Director of UNC-TV and said HQ could relocate to AVL in exchange for Turner bowing out of the race.

  24. ashevillain says:

    LOL!

    …and here I thought I could not like Moffit any less than I already do.

  25. Murphy says:

    My guess is that Tim Muppet (he has the hands of Art Pope and ALEC up his ass) will be the one who gets “nuked”…

    kinda’ sounds like a threat was made to me…

    • Katherine says:

      I thought it sounded like a threat too. Mr. Moffitt it’s time you leave public office. Threatening families crosses a line that you can’t ever come back from.

  26. luther blissett says:

    Bryan Turner will probably wake up one morning in the summer and find Tim Peck in his bed, a fate far worse than the stereotypical horse’s head.

  27. Das Drew says:

    what a prick

  28. Dave says:

    Moffit’s arrogance and bully tactics know no bounds. When his political career is over (and hopefully that will be very soon) he certainly won’t be held in the same regard as someone like Sen. Martin Nesbitt.

  29. a voter says:

    In a world where we have become accustomed to Tim Moffitt buying and bullying his way up the ladder, it is refreshing to see Mr. Turner snub his offers and ignore his threats.

  30. Mike says:

    How thoughtful, Moffit seems genuinely concerned about Turner’s well being and for his family. So nice to see him nicely suggest another job goal for Turner. In no way was this a blatant political defense from someone who genuinely just doesn’t want to fight a hard fought campaign against a formidable opponent and defend his record. This Moffit just keeps on impressing us. Lets just all do him a favor and let him run un-contested. It’s the least we an do.

Leave a Reply




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.